Hyacinths | Theodor Storm, 1817-88

Hyacinths 


Music sounds in the distance; 
but silent night is here, 
The flowers waft slumber-scent at me;
I have always, always thought of you; 
I would sleep, but you must dance. 

It does not stop, it whirls without pause; 
The candles burn and the fiddles scream; 
The rows part and close, 
And all are flushed, but you are pale. 

And you must dance; strange arms twine 
Around your heart; oh suffer no violence! 
I see your white dress fly by 
And your light, delicate form. 

And the night scent wells more sweetly 
And more dreamily from the calyx of the flowers. 
I have always, always thought of you; 
I would like to sleep, but you must dance. 



 Hyazinthen / Theodor Storm, 1817-1888
 Translation: Elisabeth Siekhaus, 2008


Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...